jeudi, septembre 15, 2005

the sounds to which i go to sleep.

tuesday night it was whistling. it started as i was reading a paris to the moon essay and someone, somewhere in the courtyard that faces my window, or in one of the windows across the way, was whistling a happy tune. they'd start and stop at random intervals, which made it all the more infuriating for me, since every time i was about to get out of bed to investigate, the whistling stopped.

last night it was the faint melody of a music box in every sense of the comparison. it was a jilted, if melodic tune that drifted in and out as if the box were being opened and closed. this time it didn't come from the window but from the wall behind me. without internet, homework, or television, i find myself going to bed earlier and earlier (i was pajama-ed and in bed by 1:15). the music box didn't even bother me, it simply made me relaxed. maybe i'm gaining some sort of calm. although i did pop out of bed to remind myself to write about this once i did have internet in the morning.

i guess i didn't realize how much i depend on my computer for the instant gratification of everything i desire, from looking up random facts, to maintaining connections i worry about losing, to blogging. am i ok with this obsession? absolutely.